Sunday, February 7, 2010

BP3_2010021_GoogleReader

Setting up Google Reader and choosing the five feeds was a new experience for me. My prior understanding of RSS was purely theoretical. Now that I’m actively receiving content without having to search all over again, I believe I’m a true convert.

The first RSS feed I selected was called Educational Technology and Life. Many other education themed distributions dealt with the requirements, legalities and politics of working in the K-12 education system, a world far different from my own. This one by contrast, will clearly pertain to both my professional and academic endeavors. The Full Sail experience and culture is well steeped in technology and its educational applications. Keeping up with current developments is becoming even more crucial as the school expands in breadth and scope.

The next feed, Music Technology in Education, will surely provide more job specific information. I am now overseeing six courses is Full Sail’s fledgling Musical Studies Department and actively creating content for additional music courses online.

My third choice is titled Suite101: Computer Programming Articles. My Music Theory labs take place in a thirty-six computer, Windows environment. Since my hire date in 2002, I’ve made a serious study of programming for the PC to reach specific goals of customizing this lab-room for maximum educational benefit. My programming endeavors have expanded into the office as well as a way to creatively solve problems.

The Automated Workflows feed deals with automation on the Macintosh computer, chiefly through the Automator application and Applescript scripting technology. Several years after my hire date, my employer negotiated an agreement with Apple Computers to provide each student and with a Macintosh computer. Each Course Director was armed with the same formidable tool. Since then I’ve made a continuous effort to get comfortable on the Mac. It has been quite a humbling experience to go from a power user and programmer on the PC to a complete novice on this unfamiliar operating system. I finally reached the point where I’m actively experimenting with advanced features like scripting and automation.

My final selection was Applied Cognitive Psychology. The Multiple Learning Theories course from EMDT helped stoke my long held interest in this topic. As teachers we are intimately involved with cognitive processing and psychology in general. Even in less obvious ways, this could only be professionally applicable. To better understand cognitive psychology is to better understand ourselves and other people, be they family, friends, students or peers.

2 comments:

  1. Russ - I am interested in a couple of your feeds and wanted to verify that I have the correct ones. For the "Educational Technology and Life" feed is this the one provided by http://edtechlife.com/ ? I like some of the topics I have read on this feed thus far and would be interested in pulling it into my Google pages. I am always looking for pages of educational technology value that I can use for my training courses for our faculty. I am considering how to transport my Google reader and or del.icio.us links into our LMS at school. I am not certain if it is possible yet, but I am examining it.

    Is the Music Technology in Education feed from Dr. James Frankel's blog? http://jamesfrankel.musiced.net/ or from the Music Educator's Network? http://musiced.net/

    I have enjoyed reading all of your blog posts. Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic post, Russell. I love the combination of choices you made and I am interested in looking at the Applied Cognitive Psychology feed you write about here.

    ReplyDelete